Friday, July 25, 2014

Day 4: Bring on the Weekend...maybe...

I am always so excited for the weekend...for us that means family, fun, and food...whether it is cooking out, dinner out, planning a special meal that takes extra long to prepare that I save for the weekend, or family get-togethers, or birthday parties!!  Food has always been given a lot of respect on the weekend in our house.

But that takes on a whole different meaning this weekend when I have to continue to follow the Whole30 plan.  In my past life  (read...two weeks ago)  when would "diet" I would do so well during the week---breakfast, lunch, and dinner--I would stick on plan and eat what I was supposed to. But weekends were my cheat time.  And don't you worry your pretty little head, I cheated like Tiger Woods in 2009!

Being diligent with my meal planning and being home has been easy while I have been doing this journey this week.  Because I had control over my food.   Things were going so smoothly.  I could set up my crockpot and dinner would be done when I was home from work.  But that all comes to a screeching halt this weekend.  This weekend is my niece's birthday party.  (So hard to believe that she is going to be 9!!!!)  Which means we are making a day trip, and my fridge and crockpot are going to be out of reach.  But going all day and relying on food prepared by someone else is something I know that I cannot do.  I have to pack my lunch and dinner--or have a plan for if we eat out.  Have Food.  Will Travel.

That is causing me a teeny tiny bit of stress. I mean really.  I have cold packs for in the car and my sister has a fridge.  It is not like we are traveling to the Sahara or something.   However, my  biggest source of anxiety is ....that there is going to be cake.  And I love cake.  I mean, I LOVE cake.  Like maybe I have a little unhealthy obsession that I have to keep in control about cake.  You know that saying, "I love you like a fat kid loves cake"?  Well, I am that fat kid.   I am scouring Pinterest pins for something that I can have...that isn't a nectarine, or another piece of fruit.  Something that resembles cake but I won't. Because cake is what got me where I am today.

And my big question is why???  What is wrong with me that my eating habits are so out of priority that I want to cry to even think about just watching everyone eating cake and not getting to enjoy it myself.  That is the question I pray will be answered during my time on this Whole30 plan.  I need to hit the reset button (queue sound byte of a certain politician talking about the reset button with regard to foreign affairs--if you don't know what I am talking about...don't worry, neither do I ).  That is the purpose of the Whole30 for me--resetting my mind.  Yes, for my immune health, inflammation, etc I need to do this to reset my body.  But it is also to reset my relationship with food and the way that I think about it.  Life is not only about the food that we eat or celebrate with! (Please oh please, don't tell Ree Drummond I said that.  I don't want her to take away my autographed copy of The Pioneer Woman Cooks: A Year of Holidays)!

1 comment: