Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Day 8: If I can stay on plan after today...I can do anything

This has seriously been a day.  From the moment I woke up this morning I have been stressed.  I am not talking about my shower was too cold, and my hair wouldn't fix right stress. I am talking about real-life, hold-your-breath-until-you-know-it-is-okay, pray-hard stress.

My kiddo woke up with her ear bleeding after she hit her head yesterday so we called the Dr. and ended up in the E.R. this morning.  Everything ended up being okay, and she had just scratched her ear canal and the blood was just superficial.  Praise the Lord!  And thanks to all who prayed for us too.

It is end of month--which is very important in my job.  And missing a half day is a big deal and causes even more stress.

Then something else happened that added more stress for me.  And more.  And more.  And you know what happened?  I survived.  I didn't eat anything not on plan.  I didn't have any of the candy or chips that we have in abundance in the office.  And I wasn't even really that tempted.  I knew it was off limits and didn't even entertain the thought of eating a Milky Way, or Pretzels, or Doritos, or Snickers, or Reeses. 

And I couldn't be more proud of myself.  Really.  It is okay to be proud of your accomplishments.  There were so many things that happened today that would have set me in a sugar swirl of shame just 9 days ago.  On days where I was that stressed in the past it wouldn't have been anything for me to eat two candy bars at work and then have ice cream when I went home and the kids went to bed.  {{hanging my head in disgust}}

But even with my meals not planned today--because of the E.R. visit--I ended up getting a salad from from the hospital cafeteria and everything stayed on plan.  I did it!  I really thought of all days that the circumstances of today would be my downfall.  But it wasn't.  And now I know that after today's craziness that means that I can stay on plan any day.

That just goes to show that my mind is changing. There isn't anything that is going to make me get off-plan because I have already set my mind to stay on plan.  And the message at church this week was just what I needed to hear to help get my mind set.  I go to LifeChurch.tv  The series right now is At The Movies and our pastor takes real movies and puts Biblical perspective on them.

This week the message was about the movie Captain Phillips.  And the message was amazing.  You can watch it here, but you have to hurry.  You can only watch it during one of the live showings THIS week.  But during the message Craig talked about the need for us to watch out for our enemy that seeks to devour us.  We must Stay Alert, Stand Firm, and Be Strong.  I know that some of you may laugh at me to say that my enemy is food, but hear me out, it isn't.  The devil has certainly used food as a tool to beat me up with for many, many years.  But I know that this plan, The Whole30, is what is helping me to be able to Stay Alert, Stand Firm, and Be Strong--that and all the prayers, support, and encouragement I am getting from you.  And today I had a big victory in my fight against food, and ultimately against the devil.

James 4:7 So humble yourselves before God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment